£40000 - £45000 Per Annum Bonus and benefits
Our client is a top 100 UK Employer and one of Leeds largest tech employers. We are looking for a mid-level Software Engineer to join a team which is comprised of engineers from many different tech backgrounds – essentially a polyglot mentality & approach.
The business is expanding their in-house engineering capability and thus are looking to hire an enthusiastic engineer from a Java software engineering background.
You will be working with the latest technologies on their next generation in-house platforms, primarily written in Kotlin (based on Java) and leaning heavily on message-oriented microservice design patterns.
Salary and benefits packages are market leading, with excellent training and development opportunities for all engineers. We have many experts to learn from and we hope you will bring your own ideas to the table too!
You will be keen to share your skills and experience with more junior members of the team to help them in their development. You will be self-motivated and willing to contribute to design at all levels, listening and learning from the talented people around you.
Duties & Responsibilities
Work as part of a team of engineers you will:
- Turn concepts and requirements into web applications and systems using industry standard languages and technologies such as Kotlin, Java, Spring Boot, Kafka, Kubernetes, MySQL
- Actively participate in application design, data-flows and detailed technical design. Ensure that analysis includes the wider view of technical and business impact
- Balance the commercial needs of the business against the ideal technical design, proposing sound phased or tactical implementations where appropriate
- Share your experience by mentoring more junior squad members
- Actively support the implementation of continuous integration to enhance deployment processes in line with our delivery/release evolution plans
- Our engineers work closely with colleagues in all positions, so a good level of interpersonal skill is important to us
- We are not building a monolithic enterprise app – think microservices and a lean approach with quick running tests and deployment. This should be something you’re passionate about too
- You will need to demonstrate good levels of skills in Java, Kotlin, or something comparable, and be comfortable with techniques such as message queues, data stores and know what makes a good RESTful API
- Data features heavily and you should appreciate there are many storage patterns, knowing the strengths and weaknesses when compared to traditional relational databases
- You will be happy to pick up code in other languages, especially those in the open source web development arena
- We expect candidates to be comfortable working in a Linux environment
- Hands-on experience with container platforms is a bonus
- We value previous experience developing for high-demand & high-availability environment
Attractive relocation package for candidates that live outside the Yorkshire region, including those outside the UK.