Flexible depending on your level of experience
2 months ago
12 Months +
Bioinformatician - Python - Unix - NGS -Next Generation Sequencing - Some Remote Working.
My global client based in Cambridge have an urgent need for a Bioinformatician on an initial 12 month contract, however this is very likely to extend. Candidates will need to have experience of Python (minimum of 1 year), Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), Unix and ideally an enthusiasm to explore non-traditional approaches to bring big data together in biologically meaningful ways.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated bioinformatician, eager to bring NGS data together in new ways. There will be an opportunity for some remote working after an initial 3 months.
- Relevant MSc/PHD degree (MSc degree with 1+ years' experience desirable)
- Programming in a Python and Unix environment.
- An enthusiasm to explore non-traditional approaches to bring big data together in biologically meaningful ways.
- Exposure to hpc environments (high performance computing)
- Programming versions control tools (github or bitbucket).
- An understanding of the contribution of bioinformatics to drug discovery.
- Effective contributing to collaborative projects involving cross-disciplinary and global teams.
- Awareness of graph modeling, machine learning, Bayesian analytics or other non-traditional approaches to model biological data.
- SQL/Database management expertise.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages, analyses, and deliver customer sequencing data.
- Develops, tests, and supports data analysis tools and pipelines.
- Ensure proper movement and automation of data from sequencer to data storage unit.
- Validate the quality of the datasets using various tools to assess the correctness of the results.
- Troubleshoot data quality issues by collaborating with Lab and other personnel.
- Assists with developing requirements for internal software development.
- Build and maintain high level of experience with team's software and IT technologies.
- Work collaboratively with scientists and outside collaborators to cultivate, process, and analyse genomic information
- Develop and maintain a in depth understanding of the scientific and technological domains supported by the NGS Informatics team.
- Design and apply innovative computational/statistical algorithms and visualizations to: Generate actionable biological insight from genomic data.
- Build and steer further development of small prototype tools for bench scientists to access and visualize genomic data. Finally, you will collaborate with industry and academia, and exploit external resources, to find the most effective solutions to problems.
Please forward you CV for immediate consideration.