The company are keen to develop their software engineering presence in Leeds and this role will play an integral part in this expansion.
You will reporting directly to the CTO and managing a small team of 2-3 Software Engineers, with huge plans to expand the team to at least 15 Software Engineers.
My client use cloud based technology, almost entirely AWS and you will be given opportunity to gain certifications in AWS as there is a significant budget for training and resources.
The Engineering Lead is responsible for leading a team of Software Engineers in the development of core applications and services. The role will be an experienced engineer in application and web development, as well as experienced in the management and leadership of Software Engineers at all levels.
The Engineering Lead will set the technical standards and architecture for their product, and provide mentoring and day-to-day management of the engineering team. The Engineering Lead will work on the company's PHP7 and MySQL codebase, as well as contribute to the full-stack of the platform to deliver new features.
● Provide day-to-day management and mentoring of Software Engineers, helping them to develop and grow
● Work closely with the Product Manager and engineering team to solutionise feature requests
● Create appropriate documentation for new feature developments, including diagrams where appropriate
● Ensure the compliance with engineering standards for areas of responsibility
● Produce well written code using standard design patterns and methods
● Lead in code reviews and pair programming with colleagues
● Participate in tech-talks and team based learning to ensure knowledge is spread
● Help hire and onboard new engineers, ensuring a smooth onboarding and short time to ramp up
Knowledge, skills and experience
● Past experience of leading engineering teams
● Extensive experience of Object Oriented languages (ideally PHP) and software development
● Understanding of software engineering principles, such as SOLID, DRY etc
● Understanding of relational database technologies such as MySQL, Postgres
● A positive and proactive attitude to problem solving
● A team player, willing to muck in and help others when needed, driven personality who asks questions and actively participates in discussions
● Past experience with enterprise solutions
● Familiarity with Scrum methodology or other agile development processes
● Experience with cloud computing
● Experience with Docker and containerisation
● Familiarity with software best practices such as Refactoring, Clean Code, Domain-Driven Design, Test-Driven Development, etc.
Some excellent benefits are on offer, 1 day working from home, flexible working, free breakfast in the office, regular team night outs (pizza making, escape rooms, even white water rafting!), loads of budget for training and skills development, half day Fridays in school summer holidays plus more!
Please apply immediately as we're looking to have an offer made to the right candidate this side of Christmas!