£44000 - £44646 per annum + bonus and benefits / Competitive
8 months ago
Senior DevOps Engineer
Salary - Competitive plus excellent benefits package
Location(s) - London, Leeds and Newcastle
We have an exciting opportunity to become a Senior DevOps Engineer. You will be responsible for the design, build test and maintain the cloud application infrastructure, working collaboratively with Software Engineering to deploy and operate the internal business systems. You will need to build services that are secure, stable and scalable, build and maintain tools for continual integration, continual deployment, monitoring and operations.
- Information security and the types of security controls that can be used to mitigate security threats within solutions and services.
- Design, implement, administer and support infrastructure technologies, solutions and services such as: compute, storage, networking, physical infrastructure, database, software, commercial off the shelf (COTS) and open source packages and solutions, virtual and cloud including IaaS, PaaS & SaaS.
- Management and monitoring of corporate security; allocate appropriate security permissions and privileges as recommended by industry best practice.
- Implement and monitor back up strategies that adhere to the organisations disaster recovery requirements and ensure that services can be recovered in the event of an incident.
- Take ownership of problems and proactively resolve technical problems, ensuring that technical solutions continue to meet business requirements. Take full accountability for actions taken and decisions made.
- Initiate and monitor actions to investigate patterns and trends to resolve problems, including consulting specialists where required. Determine the appropriate remedy and assist with implementation of these as well as preventative measures.
- Select appropriate design standards, methods and tools and ensure they are applied effectively. Review the systems designs of others to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources and integration of multiple systems and technology.
- Define the integration build. Co-ordinate build activities across systems and understand how to undertake and support integration testing activities.
- Maintain deep understanding of cloud technologies to ensure the deployed solutions are secure, scalable, maintainable and cost effective.
- Identify issues and risks associated with work whilst analysing and reporting test activities and results.
- Review requirements, specifications and define test conditions. Dissect problems to their component parts to identify and diagnose root causes. Troubleshoot and identify problems across different technology capabilities (compute, storage, networking, physical infrastructure, database, software, commercial off the shelf (COTS) and open source packages and solutions, virtual and cloud including IaaS, PaaS, SaaS.)
- Use a modern standard approach throughout automation and testing.
- Learn from what has worked as well as what has not, being open to change and improvement and working in smarter, more focused ways.
- As the technologies used to build things evolve, adapt to change and apply engineering principles to new technologies.
- Focus on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. Work to agreed goals and activities and deal with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Prioritise, understand business needs and measure the impact of work. Ensure that services are available for users. Proactively manage problems that underpin service availability.
- Have the appropriate knowledge, skills and experience to actively promote diversity and equality of opportunity, treat everyone with dignity and respect and avoid unlawful discrimination
Your Skills and Experiences;
- Educated to degree-level, professional qualification or equivalent experience.
- In depth knowledge and experience of architecture, securing, scaling and administering cloud-based solutions on platforms such as Microsoft Azure, utilising IaaS or PaaS based services.
- Experience debugging a complex, multi-server service in a high availability production environment.
- Experience of building and optimising deployment pipelines and deployment strategies on popular CI/CD tools.
- Experience with setting up detailed monitoring, logging and alerting by design with time series-based tools.
- Experience of Containerisation with tools such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience using scripting languages or a high-level programming language such as C#.Net.
- Strong communication skills; with the ability to convey complex technical concepts clearly and concisely.
- Experience in maintaining infrastructure as code with configuration management tools such as Chef, Puppet or Ansible, as well as deploy infrastructure with tools such as Terraform or CloudFormation.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary agile teams.
- Networking knowledge & experience including switching, routing, VPN's, Load balancing (Software/hardware)
- Security knowledge & experience including Firewalls (Software/hardware), IPS/IDS, Antivirus, SIEM, IDaM, DDOS.
- Experience of Agile tools and processes e.g. Kanban, SCRUM, Trello, JIRA, SLACK etc.
- Database design, integration and migration of data, performance, tuning, capacity and security.