35000-45000 Per Annum
3 months ago
Unix / Linux System Administrator - North Yorkshire
The Bridge IT are currently hiring for a global organisation based in North Yorkshire. A wide range of candidates will be considered with 1-2 years' Linux experience to 4+ years' Linux experience.
- Install and configure all Unix (such as: Linux, AIX, HP-UX) server equipment. This includes loading software, customising and configuring systems and software to optimise resource requirements and audit the system to minimise vulnerability to penetration and abuse.
- Install new or rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements. Utilise software products to automate the provisioning of servers, services and end-user devices giving users access to data repositories or authorisation to systems, network applications and databases.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs.
- Monitor for high availability, system data protection, backup and restore, Unix central authentication (account logins and other services), user account management, disk storage management, hardware and Operating Systems (OS) maintenance, and application maintenance.
- Write programs or commands designed to be run by the Unix shell (shell scripting) to provide instructions to cover systemic business as usual system monitoring. Provide more in depth technical support to internal/external customers for all system issues. Escalate issues requiring advanced/expert knowledge and experience with appropriate systems. Diagnose, repair and remediate bottleneck issues and hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Maintain Unix infrastructure environment, server equipment, firmware, and installs Operating System patches and upgrades on current and new Unix projects. Maintain performance tuning according to Service Level Agreements (SLA) utilising configuration management tools and monitoring tools to report and identify performance trends and capacity planning. Deploy change control process for planning and implementing system changes. Maintain data centre environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Provide data protection, recovery and business continuity; test and validate disaster recovery and business continuity methods in Unix environment. Perform routine backup and recovery for data protection and integrity for all Unix servers; monitor Unix infrastructure which consists of complex sets of equipment and system software; provide proactive remediation using availability and performance monitoring software. Develop custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability and Disaster Recovery (DR) standards. May assist with platform documentation which includes but is not limited to training, platform support and DR documentation is complete and archived.
- Interact closely with the necessary internal teams. Provide team members with detailed platform overview training and supporting documentation for operational, configuration, or other procedural purposes. Attend status calls when requested and provides detailed technical support.
- Troubleshoot multiple Unix networking services and application protocols (e.g., Transmission Connect Protocol / Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Domain Name Service (DNS), Network File System (NFS), Lightweight Director Protocol (LDAP), Secure Shell (SSH), Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP), Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Secure Socket Layer (SSL), and Hyper Text Transport Protocol (HTTP)) to resolve issues with file / information transmission and sharing.
- Evaluate all systems supported or maintained for potential service improvements utilising automation and orchestrations technologies to arrange, coordinate, and manage complex computer systems. Ensure skills are updated by attending the appropriate courses, utilisation of reference materials, internet resources, and vendor sponsored seminars. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale. Maintain technological acumen with systems administration technology and recommend ways to take advantage of new technology.
The salary for this opportunity is £35k - £45k +benefits(these includefree parking + working from home options + 7% pension + 26 days holiday (plus banks) + free personal travel insurance + health insurance + lifestyle/social benefits + more)
For more information please send your CV via the link below and I will be in touch to discuss in further detail.